Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sorry, the diner is closed now.

DH has gotten himself into the habit of wanting a "fourth meal" before he goes off to bed, and he won't settle for a snack.

Tonight, it was well past his normal bedtime and he was getting that glazed-eyed look - not really paying attention to TV, not really into conversation, not reading. . .I thought, "Any second now, he will go off to bed and I can dash to the computer room and play!"  (I know that sounds mean and uncaring, but that's life.)

Then he started in about wanting something to eat.  I offered several of the standard snacks: a handful of grapes, a peach, a handful of almonds, etc.  No dice. He wanted a giganticus PIZZA.  I told him flatly that this was way too much and he wasn't allowed to have something like that.  He already had a balanced dinner.

He bitched and bickered, bitched and bickered, and finally settled on a ham-and-cheese sandwich.  So I made him a sandwich and tried to settle back down on the sofa.  Before I could do so, he asked for "something to drink."  And then it was "Can I have some Cheeze-Its?" And then: "Please, I need a napkin."  And then it was green onions, a dill pickle, and pretzels.  With each request, he seemed to get more frantic; he did NOT want me to sit down!

When I headed for the sofa again, he looked like he was about to cry. I said, "What's the matter?"  He said, "I don't know, I just want - MORE - and if you sit down again, I won't have the heart to ask you to get up again and get it - and I don't even know what I want!"

I tried to stay calm, and said, "Well, I think you've probably had enough now anyway.  I bet if you just let it settle, you'll feel full and that will be enough." I took the now-empty plate and glass away and put them in the kitchen, and sat down and opened my book with an air of finality.

So here I am, stewing at the computer.  He is probably angry at himself for overeating - AGAIN - and I let him do it.

I hope he gets his act together before I have to go on dialysis, because I won't be playing waitress any more.  I have my own dietary rules to follow.  I can't be responsible for his, too.

2 comments:

  1. What the heck? I would think at the very least, if he really feels he needs a "fourth meal" before bed, he could make it himself. This almost sounds like some sort of obsession with him.

    As for you wanting to dash off and play on the computer: you are NOT being mean and uncaring. You are being human, as you need some way to unwind after all the craziness every day. Trust me, I can relate! I often "go to bed" early (in my own room), just so I can spend time on my laptop and/or read. Gives me a chance to unwind so I can hopefully sleep.

    Take time to take care of yourself. We all need to do this.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSS! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I have my computer, my sewing machine, and -yes, I admit it - my own bed - in MY room. It is my refuge, my library, my connection to the rest of the world, my sanity.

    DH likes to "relax" by watching TV. And watching TV triggers one of those "connections" I wrote about earlier: If you are watching TV or a movie, you have to be stuffing something in your face. It upsets him to be point of not being able to focus on the plot if he has to sit in front of the TV without something to eat. He gets more and more restless and distracted, and then asks me to get "something" for him, because he can't tear himself away from the program.

    I'm beginning to understand the basics of diabetes; nobody told me about the endless varieties of "crazy" that go with it.

    ReplyDelete